Friday, January 06, 2006

Mourning The Loss....

OK It's taken me almost 2 days to recover from what I will only refer to as the "Pasadena Fiasco". Although I've finally gotten over the fact that one of the greatest streaks in college football is now over, I'll still slap a Texas Longhorn fan in the streets of LA. You won...now go home. However I'm attempting to take our loss graciously as Pete Carroll would want us to. So I've decided to look at the bright side of the entire situation. So in my best Pollyanna impression, here are the best things about the "Pasadena Fiasco":
  1. No more media coverage. I'll admit that I was the first prson on espn.com, foxsports.com, si.com and every other sports page reading everything they wrote about USC and how great we were. But dammit it really was overexposure. It was too much. Now the team can live in peace and just be college students.
  2. Easier to get seats in the Colesium. Now that all of the bandwagon fans have jumped off and gone running after Vince Young all the way back to Austin, the real fans won't have to fight football groupies and celebrities just to get close enough to the field to see the game. Hopefully the prices of student tickets and season tickets go down a little too. Or at least they won't raise the prices again.
  3. The end of one era means the beginning of a new one. Pete Carroll is loving this right now, because he gets to rebuild his team again and show how great of a coach he is. Let's be real about this people. We know Matt Leinart has to leave, and don't be shocked if Reggie and LenDale go too. All kinds of other players are graduating. It's a fresh start and Pete loves the challenge of being able to rebuild his teams. And as long as we keep beating UCLA, I OK with that.

And since the football team has started fresh, I think it's time for me to start fresh as well. I'm taking everything in life now as a sign of what's going on in my life. Last year at this time, USC had just won a National Championship and everyone was wondering how far we could take this streak. I remember thinking, man I wish I was gonna be a student next year so I could go to games and see them win. Next thing I know, I'm not graduating and I AM around to see them for another year (be careful what you wish for). But the "Pasadena Fiasco" has put an end to an era and it's time for a fresh start. Matt, Reggie, LenDale, and a host of other Trojan football players will get their fresh starts in the NFL. They've brought closure to it all, which means one thing....it's time for me to go too! I'm outta here in May no matter what. Hopefully I'll be in a city where I can watch at least one Trojan play in the NFL. I think I'll be paying more attention to this NFL draft more than ever before.

No comments: