Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Brokeback Mountain...A Double Standard?

I was forwarded this article in an email today, and I gotta say that the author has a point. Read below...

This week's topic comes from SB user, Maisha Sullivan-Ongoza in Philly:
"I wake up this morning to find glowing commentaries in print and electronically that "Brokeback Mountain" wins numerous Golden Globe awards. According to people who care about these things, the Golden Globes could be a sneak preview of what the Oscar's will look like.

I have not seen the movie 'Brokeback Mountain.' Basically, I did not appreciate the marketing of this protracted male homosexual relationship of heterosexually married men as a touching love story. I have no problem with the homosexual part of the movie. If the homosexuality was portrayed as an open, consensual, honest and loving relationship, no problem. What I have problems with is the positive marketing of White homosexual male behavior that is viewed negatively in the media when Black males do the same thing.

My issues are racism and double standards. When Brothers do the same thing, we get a new vocabulary word just for them--it is called the "Down Low." What bothers me is that two White males married to females continue their homosexual relationships and folks flock to see it and find it so moving, heart wrenching watching them live a lie.

What bothers me even more is that Black males who do this same thing get no safe quarter in cinema, literature or communities. In no ones eyes is there one positive thing to say about this type of unprincipled behavior, it is certainly not award-winning..." (more)

1 comment:

Elle B. said...

I saw the flick with my roomie on Friday ...she really wanted to watch it. I couldn't get with it. I don't know what I was thinking. I wasn't ready and don't think I would be if it were a black story. In fact, I'd probably be less willing.

In terms of the comments made in the email, I understand the author's point, but I think it's shortsighted. Our community has to deal with our issues first before the mainstream does...it's always been that way.


The racism she is referring to has to be the internal racism in our community. To an extent the downlow brother is a manifestation of our issues, not something impressed upon us by the majority society.

Futhermore, I think the same audience would appeal to a similar film with black principles because in their eyes it'd be artistic particulary since homosexuality and black people (as well as minorities at large) are considered "others." The director of the film is Ang Lee an asain director and the screenplay was written by a gay male and a woman. All members of the "other" than white heteromale majority. If in fact this was a black film with the same amount of acclaim (assuming it'd even get there because the only black films that are commercially supported are comedys, romantic and coonin'), it'd be our community that would have the same outcry, but then call it exploitation.

K, I'm finished. I wanted to comment previously, but couldn't cus I didn't see the film.