Sunday, April 23, 2006

T-Minus 19 Days & Counting....

So I'm usually not one to countdown until something happens, but I just realized that I'm graduating in 19 days...like for real this time! Most of you know about the ridiculously long time that I've been at SC (8 years....stop laughing) but I'll FINALLY be done with my second degree in less than 3 weeks. For the first time since I was 3, I will not be attending school in the fall. No books, no registration, no syllabi, no new school clothes (Ok i haven't done this one in a while anyways), no financial aid packages....OH SHIT NO FINANCIAL AID....SCORE!

I originally was going to do absolutely nothing but enjoy the fact that I was done with school. I had no intention in participating in any sort of graduation hoopla. I just didn't have the strength, didn't feel like going through all of this mess again. I've done it all already (gotta love undergrad and my almost graduation last year). So I figured I would just take my finals, go to everyone else's graduation parties and celebrate being done FOR REAL with out all of the stresses and formalities. My how plans have changed...

So it started with the fact that I wanted to go to Black Grad. I didn't really want to walk, I just wanted to be in the building. Then I heard that there are a ridiculous amount of people walking this year and the chances of getting in without a ticket are slim to none. So I thought, well if I walk in black grad, then I'll have a seat. My parents agreed to pay for a cap and gown to rent (broke phi broke...I ain't got it) so I could do black grad. Simply enough right? Wrong

I went to speak to the grad advisor to turn in some forms and make sure I was really getting my degree in May. I've known her for a while and it's obvious that they get excited when minorities are really graduating. By the end of the conversation, I had somehow become the flag bearer for the Viterbi School of Engineering for the Commencement ceremony. I hadn't even planned on BEING AT Commencement. Then she explained that my guests would get front VIP seating. Guests? What guests?

My parents have seen me walk twice at USC and are just happy that I'm done. When I told them the situation, my dad automatically started making plans to drive down to LA. But my brother has a track meet the same day in the bay area. And my other brother has a bowling tournament in Reno. Now my parents decided that I need to pay black grad dues just in case they come. Another $95 dollars spent. At least I get a graduation stole now.

Do you see how quickly this all got complicated? I went from just sitting in the crowd at Black Grad to a full blown graduation extravaganza in less than a week. Now my parents want to stay at my apartment, which would involve me cleaning my apartment for real, something that I had been putting off for a while now. I'm getting a headache....

1 comment:

POPS said...

comedy. congrats. take mad pictures. having VIP seating at graduation is the BEST! great memories. not sure if your fam is rowdy like mine was though. (picture the dog pound from the aresnio hall show)